Sunday, 22 June 2008

Chicken Soup for the Nose

Everyone has chicken soup when they're ill. Mine for various reasons is a spicy Thai soup rather than a cream of chicken soup. Firstly, I love chillies and they are great for clearing out your head and more importantly your nose. Secondly this is the closest I've got to a dish my stepmother made for me when I was younger and less interested in cooking. That, however wasn't a soup but noodles cooked in liquid hence the rather funny look my stepmother gave me when I got up for some bread to enjoy with it. The original recipe is from Nigel Slater's Real Food , but I've amended a couple of amounts and added noodles in an attempt to recreate that noodle non soup.

Tom Yam Gai

1 chicken breast
1 litre chicken stock
half a pack of glass noodles
4 spring onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 stalk of lemongrass, chopped and crushed
3 small chillies chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
4 lime leaves
3 tablespoons nam pla
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon lime juice

1) Boil the chicken breast in the stock and then lower temperature to a simmer. Leave till the chicken is tender then remove and shred ( I cut mine into cubes as I like large pieces of chicken but make up your own mind).

2) Add spring onions, garlic lemongrass, chillies and lime leaves to the stock and simmer for 10 minutes. In a separate container add the nam pla, sugar and lime juice and shake to blend together.

3) Add the above to the stock as well as the chicken. Add the noodles and mix together to ensure all the chicken doesn't stay in one place.

4) When the noodles are cooked, remove and serve.

No comments: