Tuesday, 22 April 2008

Start of a Phase

When I was about 14 or 15 I went through a phase of attempting to cook curries. Not Thai curries , which my stepmother could of helped with, oh no , I had to be difficult and went straight for Indian curries with their never ending list of spices. As my mum realized it was probably something I would grow out of she got me a few of the basic spices over time , Cumin ,Coriander ,Cardamon and Garam Masala etc. And I was happy.Even if each curry no matter what the fresh ingredients would end up tasting the same, I was learning and experimenting. Unfortunately my tolerance for spicy food is much higher than my mums so she had a few nights where she ate mostly rice , (Sorry!)after I over did it with the chili powder or chillies.
Now I'm a bit older and theoretically wiser , I've decided to give a range of Indian recipes a go, helped by the fact im not limited by cookbooks anymore. The first one is kind of a mix of the orginal recipe from here an adaptation from here and my sheer absentmindedness.

Serves 2 by itself or 4 with rice

1 can of cooked black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 small onion ( i used half a large onion)
4 cloves garlic
Half inch ginger
1 finger chilli
1 tsp cumin seeds
Half tsp garam masala powder
Half tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp oil

Chop the onion, garlic, ginger and chili finely ( I grated my ginger) Heat the oil until its really hot then add the cumin. Once they start to sizzle or pop add the onion garlic ginger and chili and keep stirring till the onions turn brown. Add the beans and half fill the bean tin with hot water. Add water to the beans and leave to cook for 5 minutes. Add the turmeric and garam masala then serve.

Both recipes originally call for tomato and coriander powder but unfortunately I didn't have any. The chili was due to a mention of red chili powder and I like a bit of heat. I would defiantly cook this again but will also try the original recipes to see which I prefer. Picture up soon as my camera has run out of batteries.

No comments: